By: Faheem Anwar Khan
ISLAMABAD: In a remarkable achievement, the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) has been recognized for its unwavering commitment to ensuring child and youth safety online at the prestigious LEAD Awards 2023. The award was proudly received by the Director of PTA, who also serves as the Head of the Child Online Protection Committee, during a special ceremony held in the United Arab Emirates by the SAMENA Telecommunications Council.
PTA’s Remarkable Achievements:
- Among PTA’s significant accomplishments in the realm of child and youth online safety is the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed with UNICEF. This strategic partnership has allowed for vital collaboration and initiatives in this critical domain.
- The allocation of an emergency short code, ‘1121’, for reporting child abuse is another milestone achievement by PTA. This dedicated hotline ensures a swift response to incidents of child abuse, contributing to the safety of children in Pakistan.
- PTA has played a pivotal role in executing a Knowledge, Attitude, and Practices (KAP) survey, conducted by UNICEF Global, as part of the ‘Disrupting Harm Programme’. Pakistan has become the 12th country globally to undertake this comprehensive survey, shedding light on the state of online safety for children and youths.
- Collaboration with TikTok, a popular social media platform, to promote online safety in 100 government schools is a noteworthy initiative. This partnership includes the creation of awareness videos, distribution of informative booklets, and the provision of essential toolkits for educating students on digital safety.
- PTA’s extensive awareness campaign extends beyond schools, encompassing curated videos, informative articles, public notices, SMS notifications, and community engagement activities involving prominent figures such as Islamic scholars, cricketers, and the entertainment industry.
A Leading Force in Safeguarding Youth’s Digital Future: PTA’s tireless efforts to promote online safety for children and youth have earned it the prestigious LEAD Award. This recognition not only showcases PTA’s dedication but also positions Pakistan as a leader in safeguarding the digital future of its younger generation.
The LEAD Awards celebrate and honor the accelerated efforts of regional technology providers, corporates, telecom operators, and regulatory bodies. The SAMENA Telecommunications Council, spanning more than 25 countries and representing telecom operators and various stakeholders, holds a crucial role in recognizing and promoting excellence in the telecommunications industry.